When your morning routine is already a caffeinated blur, the last thing that you need is to walk to your car only to find that your battery is dead. Don’t get blind-sided; our mechanics can assess your battery’s health to allow you to make an informed decision to replace it at the right time before it dies unexpectedly.
Car batteries typically last between 2 to 5 years. If you’re approaching the latter years of your car’s battery life, we highly recommend that you take the time to have it evaluated.
Find the Right Battery at the Right Price
If you’re in need of a new car battery, our mechanics can help you make an educated decision about the right one to buy next and can provide a fast installation. By looking at your car’s battery and electrical system, we can select the proper size to meet the needs of your vehicle.
Get in touch with us today to better understand the health of your vehicle and make empowered decisions about your repair purchases.
Ways to Extend Your Battery Life
In warmer climates like Gainesville, FL, car batteries tend to have a far shorter lifespan. The added heat drains them more quickly, as it can prompt them to begin discharging on their own. On average, their life is approximately 40% shorter in a hotter climate like Florida than in cooler places. Luckily, there are some steps you can take to ensure that yours lasts as long as possible, including the following.
- Do not limit your driving to very short distances. Only driving short distances doesn’t allow your alternator enough time to recharge the battery. Make sure to take your car out for longer periods of time in order to give the alternator the time it needs.
- Park in a shaded parking space. Especially in the Florida sun, the excess heat can drain your battery. The summer months will be particularly hard on it. Try to park your car inside your home’s garage more often and in a shaded area of a parking lot while you’re out.
- Keep your battery clean. The dirt and grease that build up on your battery serve as insulators, trapping excess heat around it. When tending to your car, make sure to include this area on your cleaning checklist.
- Always turn off your lights. We’ve all heard the dreaded story of accidentally leaving your lights on and coming back to a dead battery. Extra electronics can drain it and leave it lifeless sooner than you may think.
- Limit the time you allow your car to remain powered while idle. When you’re not driving, try not to let your air conditioning or electronics stay on for too long. This extra electricity will strain your battery and reduce its lifespan.
Trust City Auto Repair for Your Towing and Battery Services in Gainesville, FL
Hopefully, with these tips, you’ll be able to extend the lifespan of your battery and limit your chances of having the dreaded experience of being stuck with a dead one. However, as always, City Auto Repair of Gainesville, FL is here to service your emergent needs and put you back on the road safely with towing and battery services.
Schedule an appointment with us today!